Sunday, March 8, 2009

Love-making in St. Kilda

March was supposed to be all about Ireland, but you know what Robbie Burns would say about the best laid plans......


Views of Saint Kilda set to Oran Am An Iasgach
Sung by young Lewis Gaelic singer Calum Alex MacMillan. Music as soothing as this does not need translation. (Calum Alex is also in Daimh, a super talented and fun Gaelic pipe and fiddle band. There is some California connection with Daimh which someday I will investigate.)


I usually sleep like a baby. Fresh air coming in the opened window, comfy bedding, dog softly snoring, all's well. Not tonight. So, while the rest of my world slumbers, I have swaddled myself in a blanket and sit at the computer to find some of that Scottish poetry I am so fond of. After a bit of pecking on the net, I found the poem Love-making in St. Kilda by Donald Murray from his work The Dark Horse (Winter 07-08). Murray is from Ness in the Isle of Lewis. Not long ago I shared the story of Ewan Gillies (I forgot at the time to mention the St. Kilda Tapes), so the poem is a welcomed friend, wonderfully light and beautiful.

When a man makes love to a St. Kildan woman -
Her moans and sighs are like the cries of birds......


It can read in its entirety at http://www.spl.org.uk/best-poems/017.htm

No comments: