Saturday, May 10, 2008

Connected







Today was the last commitment Saturday for awhile! The ever growing weeds can now be pulled......

I guess I should have named my blog “Ode to the Hebrides” or something along those lines. But since music is my life long passion, a lyrical theme won out (at least for now).

For a while, I have immersed myself in researching the Hebrides through books, music, photographs and the internet (my book collection and research binder keeps growing). My head has been full of bits and pieces about the Gaelic people, past and present. I am afraid family and friends are just humoring me when I start in with, for example "did you know, in South Uist they discovered these really ancient mummies......" They are in for a long haul, as sharing what I am learning is part of the fun.

When I started this journey, I had no idea what I would find. I never imagined how invested I would feel.

I started looking at the past, but it is the present that is at the forefront. The outer islands are at a crucial crossroad. How do they balance maintain/preserve their culture and embrace the change needed to survive? The issues are varied and complex. Their young surf the world wide net and look to futures beyond fishing, crofting, micro-businesses,...of their parents and grandparents. Young women seek equality and a means for independence. The young people leave for opportunities simply not available on the islands, and in come the outsiders, looking for a place to retire. The outsiders (mainland Scots, English...) do not always understand the deep relationship the natives have with the land, or the customs so much a part of their lives. For hundreds of years they survived a harsh land. They did it as a family community with laughter and music and I think they did it well. The Gales do not get the respect they so deserve. Any change has to come from within and needs to be addressed now. Our world is a much different place, more so than in any other time in recent history. Along with economic concerns they face finding solutions to the environmental issues. Communities have come together to purchase and preserve large land grants. Small scale wind turbines dot the landscape, instead of massive turbine fields, which allows the multitude of birds to continue to flourish. The issues go on and on - there are no easy answers.

There is so much to write, which I will attempt at another time. But I have to mention the language- so amazing and so very mysterious. It is the hardest thing to attempt to wrap my brain about. Looks like nothing I have ever seen. I read they are not so concerned we outsiders pronounce words correctly (such kind people), as it is the meaning behind the words that matters most. Behind the name of a location, for example, is a story. The story has meaning - a history to be remembered. The connectedness is ever present. They do not simply ask you your name, but rather whom do you belong? How beautiful. So names would include daughter of so and so, grandson of so and so..... Keep in mind babies were (I guess still are) named after family members, so it is a way to keep everyone straight as to who's who (my own GG Grandfather John MacDonald shared his name with countless others; including his family lineage in his name was a simple solution). The names of towns are looking more and more familiar but I am positive I am butchering the pronunciation in my mind.

My children's first middle names are family names with a twist, which of course means there is a story behind them. They also both have my last name (which I reclaimed when their dad and I divorced) as a second middle name. It was really important that their names have meaning and a connection with their heritage. I may be a modern independent woman, but it looks like I am my ancestor's daughter after all. :)

No comments: