Saturday, May 24, 2008

snippits


When she was named, two songs played in my mind. The first, from one of the greatest albums of all times. I pulled the song book off the shelf and sang it one more time, all 16 verses. Like visiting with an old friend from a lifetime ago.

Lily was a princess
She was fair skinned and precious as a child
She did whatever she had to do
She had that certain flash every time she smiled
She'd come away from a broken home
Had lots of strange affairs
With men in every walk of life
Which took her everywhere
But she'd never met anyone
Quite like the Jack of Hearts
(Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts by Bob Dylan, From Every Stage Joan Baez 1977)

Me and my best friend Lillian
And her blue tick hound dog Gideon
Sittin on the front porch cooling in the shade
Singin every song the radio played
Waitin for the Alabama sun to go down
Two red dirt girls in a red dirt town
Me and Lillian
Just across the line and a little southeast of Meridian
(Red Dirt Girl by Emmylou Harris)

I had first thought to call her Flora. I had not thought of the old song, Lily of the West, until today. :)

When I first came to Louisville, my fortune there to find
There was a maiden there from Lexington, was pleasing to my mind
Her rosy cheeks, her ruby lips like arrows pierced my breast
And the name she bore was Flora, the lily of the west
(Traditional, Irish origin)

No comments: